Family lawyer, family attorney, family law firm, criminal lawyer, Sarasota County, Bradenton, Desoto, Pinellas, Manatee County, Florida.

1800 2nd Street, Suite 882, Sarasota, Florida 34236
Phone: 941-227-4945 | Hours: Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm

Hablamos Español


When an unwed couple has a child, either the mother or the father should bring a paternity action to address various issues between the parents. These issues include:

  • Mother’s Rights
  • Father’s Rights
  • Prior Paternity Modification
  • Child Custody
  • Contempt and Enforcement

A paternity case arises when two unwed individuals have a child together and either legal paternity needs to be established or visitation and child support need to be established. Often time unwed parents will remain together after the birth of the child or would come to an oral agreement regarding the welfare of their child. However, most of the time one of the two parents will not abide by the oral agreement or unilaterally changes the oral agreement. When this occurs one of the parents may want to seek legal counsel to petition the Court to enter an order solidifying his/her rights.

As the mother of a child born out of wedlock, you may need to fight for your child’s right for financial, emotional and moral support from his/her father. In this case, the mother may want to seek legal counsel...

Read more

Unlike in a child born into a marriage, when a child is born out of wedlock the biological father is not necessarily presumed to be the legal father. In this case, the biological father

may want to seek legal counsel...

Read more

There are several ways for the parents to establish paternity:

Legitimize the child through the
parents getting married, an acknowledgment of paternity signed by both parents or a Court order...

Read more

Schedule a no-cost consultation

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

Once an attorney determines that an order was previously entered on a particular matter and the opposing party has not complied with that order within a reasonable time, then the attorney may move the court...

Read more

When a family law case is resolved or there is an order entered by the court, the parties to the case are bound by that order and must follow it. Very often one party will intentionally or unintentionally fail ....

Read more

In Florida, child support is not necessarily the right of either the paying or receiving parent, but is instead the right of the child in the action. While one parent will likely be paying the other parent...

Read more


**The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. This web site has been prepared for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice nor is intended to be a complete list of all the information that may be available on any subject addressed herein. The information this site contains is not intended to create a lawyer-client relationship.  You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Any references or links to other websites are provided only as a convenience to our visitors.**   Kowtko Law Group, P.A.  © 2015